When we’re cooped up at home, what better way to warm the heart than the scent of homemade bread? And… how best to both satisfy hunger and speak to a yearning sweet tooth, than by enjoying a tasty slice of banana bread?
Yep, it’s a perfect balance of substance with just the right amount of sweet. Plus, it’s simple to make. And the recipe is straight from my Mama Mary Lou’s kitchen.
From my family to yours, enjoy.
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup chopped nut, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large mixer bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add mashed banana, butter and milk.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until blended, then on high speed for two minutes.
- Add eggs and remaining flour; beat until blended. Stir in nuts, if desired.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove from pan. If desired, sprinkle top of loaf lightly with sugar. Cool on rack for an hour.
- Wrap in saran wrap, place in a Ziploc bag overnight.
- In the morning, slice, serve + smile.