It’s cold. It’s dreary. Sunshine is an elusive, albeit always welcome, visitor. Yes, January can be a drag.
So, why not brighten things up? How about adding some brilliant color and new life to the home?
It’s easy to bring colorful life indoors. Simply add a gorgeous amaryllis to your home. Although it’s traditionally known as a holiday flower, our preference is to enjoy ‘em after the twinkles and garlands are put away.
Buy your amaryllis already in-bloom, or start with a bulb and nurture your own blooming babe this January.
- If purchasing as a bulb (before the blossom), select the largest bulb available. The larger the bulb, the more blooms and stalks it will produce.
- Ensure there is no moisture on and around the bulb, as this is a common sign of mold or decay. (Choose a dry, solid bulb.)
- When planting, ensure the pot is one inch larger in diameter than the bulb itself. Amaryllis like to be cozy in a small, snug home.
- Place bulb in organic potting soil, positioned with one-third of bulb above soil surface. Firm soil around the bulb, water thoroughly and place in a warm, sunny location.
- Once flower buds begin to show color, move the plant from the direct sunlight—and watch the blossoms bloom.